Personal Safety Education Abridged Kit
The Personal Safety Education Training Kit is a culmination of our years of understanding and experience of helping prevent child sexual abuse by increasing help-seeking behaviour amongst children and making adults aware in their role of keeping children safe. It is a feature-rich set of tools and instructional guides to help Teachers, NGO professionals, Counsellors and other individuals to teach children Personal Safety skills. This Kit will help School Authorities, Government and Institutional caregivers to spread the message of Safety to children, parents, teachers and the community at large, thus safeguarding children from sexual abuse.
In the initial years, Arpan had worked extensively with children of Grades 1 to 10 and developed a comprehensive version of the Personal Safety Education curriculum which has to be implemented for about six days with Grades 1 to 4 and four days with Grades 5 to 10. Over the past few years, we recognized the need for a shorter or an abridged version of the comprehensive manuals. The shorter version of the Personal Safety Manuals helps stakeholders like teachers or counsellors who struggle with the comprehensive version, conduct lessons easily and in a shorter duration through stories.
This kit is available in 3 languages English, Hindi and Marathi.
- Instruction Booklet on How to use the Kit – A guide to using the Personal Safety Education Kit.
- Preventing and Responding to Child Sexual Abuse – A Handbook for Caregivers – This booklet is designed to facilitate an understanding of Child Sexual Abuse and propose simple tips for participating in children’s safety.
- Arpan’s Personal Safety Education Lesson Plan Manual – The grade-wise lesson plan manuals are designed for teachers, counsellors, school coordinators and other caring adults in schools, institutional set ups as well as organizational set ups who want to implement the Personal Safety Education programme.
- Booklet of Illustrations – The booklet aims at using the visuals effectively during the implementation of the lesson plans. Each grade has a different booklet. The booklet must be used during the classroom sessions.
- Chits for Activity – There are two sets of chits or small flashcards included in the kit. Each set includes eight flashcards. These will be used during the activities mentioned in the manual for Grades 7 and 8, and Grades 9 and 10.
- Posters – These posters with textual and visual images are attractive tools that can be placed on the walls of the classrooms and the school buildings for children and parents after the implementation of the Personal Safety Education programme.
- Certificate – A sample certificate is included in the kit. A certificate provided to each child at the end of the programme will give them a sense of achievement.
- Arpan’s Guide to First Level Intervention for Handling Disclosures of Child Sexual Abuse – This manual aims to handhold and support individuals or organisation and institutions with information and skills so that they can be co-travellers in the children’s journey of healing by providing effective first-level intervention.